Monday, May 23, 2005

What to Read?

Hello, everyone! First off, I'd like to thank those of you who have gotten in touch with me by email, as well as those who have left comments. It seems this blog is meeting a need, for which I am very grateful. (Please don't bother leaving comments, by the way, that simply link to "my pictures." Ahem. It's a free country, the blogosphere, but I"m trying to keep this little piece of it somewhat focused!)

Since my own work focuses on Jewish American poetry, I know a few of the books, essays, and other resources that anyone working with that topic might find useful. One pair of texts that you should know in tandem are Harold Bloom's infamous essay "The Sorrows of American-Jewish Poetry," which came out in Commentary (Vol. 53, No. 3, March 1972) and was reprinted (I believe) in Figures of Capable Imagination shortly thereafter, and Jerome Rothenberg's less-known, but just as important riposte, "Harold Bloom: Or, the Critic as Exterminating Angel," which appeared in Sulfur in 1981 and is now available on-line at this Web del Sol address.

I think one way this blog could make itself useful is by posting some bilbliographic material like this--and by soliticing suggestions from all of you. I'm going to add the Rothenberg link in my links column, and spend some time in the next few days scouring the web (and my own files) for lists of poets, books, etc. If you have ideas, send them along!

More soon, then--
EMS

No comments: