Thursday, June 09, 2005

Not that rap is exactly poetry...

but I've had the Hip Hop Hoodios' version of "Hava Nagila" stuck in my head for a week now, damnit, and none of my Jewish poetry friends seem to know it, and they should:

I'm a Jew for thugs, a jew for hugs,
A Jew for lobster, a Jew for bugs;
A Jew for masturbation, five-week vacations,
A Jew for FDR, Salon, and The Nation.
Pass on Ronald Reagan--give me Donald Fagen!
(Ma Nishtana, Menachem Begin?)
And, of course, the chorus, which my daughter loves to holler at the most sublimely inappropriate moments:
I'm a Jew for Allah, a Jew for Jesus,
A Jew for milagros and telekenesis,
A Jew for you, a Jew for me,
A Jew for birds and a Jew for the bees...
Now if only my Hebrew were good enough to hear--but really hear--the wit and horror of "The Sticker Song," too!


4 comments:

ErieTimes said...

I'm a Muslim for Allah.

E. M. Selinger said...

Welcome aboard! What are the "Big Muslim Blogs" out there (a poetry one, even) that I should know about?

Rachel said...

I absolutely adore "Havana Nagila." It's the best thing the Hoodios have done, bar none -- and I think the lyrics are a large part of why. They're really smart and funny (that "ma nishtana, Menachem Begin" always makes me laugh out loud).

Of course, the auditory humor of hearing "Hava Nagila" played Conjunto-style adds to the song's brilliance, too...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE HIP HOP HOODIOS!!!

Don't get me wrong, "Havana Nagilah", is great. But has anybody heard the new album 'Agua Pa' La Gente'? It's even better - I've caught the video "Gorrito Cosmico" on MTV-Espanol a couple of times, and it's hilarioius.

I believe that unlike their 1st album, the new one is in places like Tower, Amazon, etc.